Student support systems and quality assurances at Australian universities

Australian universities take the care of international students very seriously and there is lots of support available.

All of the universities have International Offices that are specifically dedicated to the well-being of international students. Regardless of whether a student has an academic, pastoral, personal or medical issue the advisors will be able to direct them to the most suitable department or person to help. The universities also have Counselling or Psychological Services which provide free, confidential assistance to students who might be managing difficult issues such as low mood, grief, stress, exam anxiety or general difficulties coping with the transition to university. They can arrange individual support sessions and also provide group workshops as well as a range of other activities.

If you decide to stay in on-campus accommodation – particularly in a residential college - there will usually be a member of staff dedicated to the pastoral care of the students living in that accommodation. They often live on-site. They will be able to provide you with support, or direct you to the necessary department, if you are having academic or personal difficulties.

The Australian government require that all international students have comprehensive health insurance for the duration of their studies. This cover must meet strict government requirements in terms of its scope and level, and is a key student visa requirement. In Australia the health insurance for international students is called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). The universities can arrange this health cover for you through their preferred providers when you accept your offer of place, which is generally the most straightforward option. If you want to organise your own health insurance you must check with the university that the policy is sufficient to meet the student visa requirements. It is important to read all health insurance documents carefully so that you are aware of what will and will not be covered. 

To ensure all courses offered to international students in Australia meet a certain standard, all courses must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).  International students can only undertake a course in Australia if the course is registered with CRICOS. If a course is not CRICOS registered, this means that it is only available to domestic (Australian) students. Both vocational and university level courses for international students must be registered. You can find this register on the CRICOS website.

Study Options Australian University Open Days. 17th-19th March 2016